In addition to my burgeoning meditation practice I often burn nag champa incense, or dab a bit of lavender oil on my pulse point and inhale deeply to decompress from a rough day. The smells create a sense of balance for me and allow me to shift to a more positive place in my mind. Here are some of my favorite essential oils and their benefits:
- Bergamot-balancing, regenerating
- Clary Sage-antidepressant, anti-anxiety, uplifting
- Grapefruit- aids mood swings, relieves nervous exhaustion and stress
- Lavender- antidepressant,calming, rejuvenating, enhances the immune system
- Patchouli- sedative in low doses, stimulating in high doses, aphrodisiac
- Peppermint- uplifting, clearing, refreshing, mental stimulant
- Rose- antidepressant, sedative, effective in aiding grief, sadness and feminine complaints
- Sandalwood- antidepressant, aphrodisiac, aids nervous tension & anxiety
What are your favorite scents and what positive mood do they cultivate for you?
Disclaimer: Remember essential oils are concentrated so use them diluted in carrier oils. Never put them directly on your skin and keep them out of the way of heat and light.