10.19.2010

Embracing Community

If you are anything like me you probably have chosen the lone ranger route;doing things solo. While my m.o. veres toward individualism, I have challenged myself to embrace community. Though I am no where near where I'd like to be in terms of the whole embracing process (most likely because I don't like being vulnerable) I have been pleasantly surprised by what I've gotten out of being a 'member'.

You may wonder, what the heck this has to do with wellness, and my response dear friends is: EVERYTHING!! Mental health studies have shown that belonging to a community and having a sense of connection helps ward off depression,especially for women; which has everything to do with wellness.

I challenge you like I've challenged myself to join a community today, whether that be a group fitness class, a book club, a community garden, or getting together with friends for regular potlucks. You'll  be formulating healthy relationships, securing good mental health and fostering wellness through these support systems.

Happy joining!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment